1. Miami was named for the Mayaimis, a Native American tribe that lived in the area until the 17th and 18th century. The Mayaimis took there name from Lake Okeechobee, which was called Mayaimis or “big water”.
2. Suntan lotion was invented by Miami Beach pharmacist, Benjamin Green in 1944.
3. Miami Beach was a mangrove swamp before it was developed started in the 1920s.
4. The only Everglades eco-system in the world is in Miami.
5. Miami has over 800 parks and is the only city in the United States that is bordered by two separate National Parks – Biscayne National Park and Everglades National Park.
6. Miami is the only major city in the US to be founded by a woman (Julia Tuttle).
7. With more than 800 buildings, Miami Beach’s Art Deco district is home to the world’s largest collection of Art Deco Architecture.
8. In 2008, Miami was the number1 Cleanest City in America by Forbes Magazine.
9. Miami has the largest cruise ship port in the world.
10. Miami Beach is also known as “America’s Riviera”.
11. In 2008, South Beach was rated #1 beach in America by the Travel Chanel.
12. Miami was a popular place for pirates to visit and bury their treasure. Famous pirates such as Gasparilla, Blackbeard and Lafitte regularly visited and caches of gold, silver and treasure have been uncovered on and off land in the Miami area.
13. Miami Beach is known a s the “Wreck Diving Capital of the Americas’ due the sheer number of wrecks.
14. Nearly 12 million people visited Miami in 2009 and continues to grow!
15. Miami Beach has a large snow skiing club.