About Miami and Miami Sightseeing
Here are some cool things to know about Miami and Miami Sightseeing
1. The city of Miami got its name from one of the native tribes that lived in the region in the 1600 and 1700s, the Mayaimi.
2. It officially became a city in 1896 thanks to a local businesswoman Julia Tuttle who encouraged one railroad mogul to expand into the Southern Florida, making Miami the only major U.S. city to be founded by a woman.
3. Across from Miami, the Biscayne Bay is Miami Beach, which wasn't incorporated in 1915. The land on which Miami Beach was founded wasn't much bigger than a sandbar: and basically, the entirety of Miami Beach was artificially created.
4. Because Miami Beach is mostly man-made, the beaches have to be replenished with new sand periodically.
5. Miami Beach has the world's largest collection of Art Deco architecture.
6. About 14.5 million people visited Miami in 2014 alone. Based on occupancy rates, it's the third-best hotel market in the country. trailing only San Francisco, and New York.
7. The Port of Miami has been designated as the Cruise Capital of the World, it now serves over five million passengers per year.
8. Miami has been a long-time vacation destination for the rich, the famous, and infamous alike for a very long time. Back in 1929, Al Capone bought a home on the area's Palm Island against the desires of the isle's residents. The mayor at the time, J. Newton Lummus, leapt to Capone's defense once it was revealed that the residence the crime boss purchased was the mayor's own property.
9. Miami boasts more than 800 parks and is the only U.S. city surrounded by two national parks ones: Biscayne National Park and Everglades National Park. There are many Miami tours visitors can take to experience and see the everglades.
10. In the 1940s, Benjamin Green—a pharmacist who served as an airman in WWII—invented one of the world's first sunscreens. Back home, he perfected his formula, adding cocoa butter and coconut oil. His product eventually became to be known as the popular Coppertone brand.
Welcome to Miami the "Magic City" where everything is possible. Miami tours are a great way to see and experience Miami. Remember however that not all tour companies are alike. Miami Discount Tours provides professional and affordable Miami sightseeing tours. We also offer great deals on packages, to Orlando from Miami, and Key West.
If you are visiting Miami for the first time, Miami tours around the city is a great way to see the best of Miami. Don't for Miami tours and Miami sightseeing are a great way to learn about Miami.
If you are interested in learning more about Miami excursions, you can visit us online