Club Madonna, the Miami Beach strip joint where according to police a 13-year-old danced for money, has been allowed to reopen after a fortnight of being closed down.
Late Monday, the club and the city of Miami Beach were able to agree on a series of conditions — among those conditions was the hiring of a chief compliance officer who is required to check IDs — in order to reopen.
The Washington Avenue strip club, which proudly claims itself as Miami Beach’s only fully nude adult entertainment club, was closed on Jan. 10 when the city pulled its business permits in the midst of police reports that a runaway teenager had been forced to perform dances there. Several people, including a dancer at the club, have been charged with trafficking the young girl.
In the order allowing the club to open again, City Manager Jimmy Morales wrote: “Investigations, both criminal and civil, remain ongoing.”
Club Madonna has maintained it has no proof of an underage performer working there, and responded to the city’s shutdown order by filing a federal complaint seeking an injunction against Miami Beach. A hearing on the injunction had been set for Friday, and a city hearing was set for next week. It’s unlikely those hearings will be necessary now, said club attorney Daniel Aaronson. However, the club’s complaint will likely move forward, he said.
In order to reopen, Club Madonna agreed to hire compliance officers which will be responsible for maintaining time logs, including verification that all performers’ IDs have been checked. Performers will have to sign sworn statements that they are neither minors and/or are being coerced to dance.
The club also agreed to join relevant trade organizations, and is now required to provide weekly affidavits swearing that the agreed-upon conditions are being met.